Sunday, May 29, 2005

Patriotism in church

I just wanted to post a question that i know has been discussed on others blogs but I wanted to hear some input from you guys about it. What role do you all believe the church should have in patriotic celebrations? With tomorrow being Memorial Day, I know that many churches spent today having patriotic services. Although I definitely believe that we should take time to honor our veterans and those who sacrificed thier lives while serving in military, Im concerned that some churches may be chalking up patriotism as a required godly trait. In some Christian circles, I think that criticizing the U.S. government is considered equally as serious as blasphemy. This is something that I was thinking about in church today and I would love to hear your comments.

4 comments:

Justin said...

I think the only biblical precedent here is that the Bible implies that Christians ought to be the best citizens that they can be. That is, they should be better citizens than the non-citizens.

Justin said...

WHOOPS!!! - I meant that Christians should be better citizens than the non-Christians.

Jessica & Justin said...

I agree, but Christians are supposed to be the best they can be in everything they do. And does being a good citizen mean you have to agree with everything the government does?

Dave Price said...

We are not called to be citizens at all. We have one citizenship & that is in the city of God. We can indirectly see an allusion to what we should do when the Israelites were in captivity, in that they were called to work for the good of the city, but if we see any other allegiance than to the kingdom of God, this is where we get screwed up. Our actions as citizens of that kingdom will often be to the benefit of society, but not always. Our presence should always call into question the status quo. You might enjoy some of the discussion of this and other topics on ekklesiaproject.com (maybe .org)

Peace

Dave