Sunday, May 22, 2005

My engagement story..

I promised to write more details of how Justin proposed, and now that things have settled down, I have a little more time to do so.
As most of you all know, our relationship has been a long distance relationship from the very beginning. So anyways, last Wednesday ( May 11th) Justin flew into Bloomington to be here for my graduation from ISU on Friday. However on Thursday we drove to downtown Chicago to eat at this gourmet Mexican restaurant we had been wanting to go to. Its called Frontera Grill and if you are ever in the Chicago area, you should definitely check it out! http://fronterakitchens.com/ It was amazing! (I also wanted to point out that I successfully parallel parked in downtown Chicago, which for anyone who knows me, this is a huge feat!)
Okay, so after a great lunch in Chicago, we drove to the Indiana Dunes, which is the beach area of Lake Michigan. Its actually very beautiful, and for anyone who lives in the land-locked portion of the United States its our version of the beach since Lake Michigan is so large and spans into the horizon. It also one of the places we went on Justin's first visit to Illinois this time last year.
So anyways it was kind of chilly on the beach, so we took a couple of blankets, found an area overlooking the lake watching the waves roll in with the chicago skyline faintly in the distance, and cuddled while having the beach completely to ourselves. We had been talking for awhile and all of a sudden the sun started coming out from under a cloud, making the moment picture perfect. I truly was thinking at this time, this is just beautiful. "Im with the man I love in such a perfect place" when Justin leaned over and said "I want to spend the rest of our lives together, will you marry me? My heart stopped, b/c I was so taken off guard that I immediately said "Are you serious?" He kind of smiled then got up on his knee, and took the ring out of his wallet. At this point, I realized he was serious and i think I said yes as he put the ring on my finger! Some of what happened is a blur since I was still in shock at the time.
That night we drove home, called some friends and told my parents. I also talked to his mom on the phone who welcomed me into the family, which i thought was incredibly sweet. The next day I graduated from college and on Saturday was my open house which became an engagement/graduation party, so all the family got to meet Justin and see my ring. Needless to say, its been a whirlwind of emotions the past week and a half and it has finally sunk in that Im getting married! Yeah for me! I couldnt be happier!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Two postings in one day!! What's gotten into you? =O)
Jen

Jessica & Justin said...

I was inspired since i learned im not the only one reading this!

Anonymous said...

The story of Justin's proposal was very sweet. I like the way you describe the setting, Chicago in the distance, and the moment being just right. It must have been just right for him too.

Jessica & Justin said...

yeah, he said he wasnt going to propose unless the timing was right..So lucky for me it was :)
by the way, who is this?

Erin said...

oh! How sweet!

Congratulations and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think that THAT post was the best story ever...how amazing, CONGRATS again, I am soo happy for you both, and IM happy I got to meet him at your graduation/engagement party, I am soo exicted for you, wow! anyways, way to go on the multiple posts in one day! Sara