Sunday, March 05, 2017

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to join some women from my church at our annual womens retreat. It was held at Camp Crucis (a little over an hour away) and was taking place Friday-Sunday. I wasnt able to go down on Friday, but left Saturday morning to join the group for the day. This was something that I was a little anxious about at first, although Im not sure why. I think it was related to past church experiences where I have struggled to feel welcomed or accepted by the women in the church. I know I have a lot of baggage from my spiritual journey, and sometimes I use that as an excuse to not get involved. However in the spirit of Lent, not only are you supposed to give something up, but also encouraged to add a new practice throughout the season. For me, this was an opportunity to do that. The ladies leading the retreat are ones that I admire and respect, and I felt this would be a good way to enrich my faith and learn from others.

When I arrived they had already started the first session, and Cherie Bennett was leading a discussion on who God is. She contrasted different views on God (polytheism. deism, dualism, etc) and the roles he encompasses in our lives. We then broke up in small groups to study and discuss the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. The conversation in our group veered off the study for a bit, but it was a natural discussion of other women's journey to the church and Anglicanism as a whole. It was encouraging to see similarities in my own faith, and also to reflect on the interaction of Christ with this vulnerable woman. One thing that stood out to me that was shared  was "sometimes we are called to reflect and be Jesus in the story, and sometimes we are to emulate the woman." Later in the day, Melissa Hatcher spoke about vulnerability and how it is required to build connections with others and with God. She shared some good insight from her therapy background and from scripture, and many small conversations followed. Although some veered from the overall message, it was refreshing to hear women of different generations and perspectives share together in an open manner. One of the reasons I had for choosing to give up facebook for Lent, was because it creates a false sense of connection with others, often neglecting real connection with others.  Listening to and learning from these other ladies is something that i needed to experience to encourage my faith and push me out of my normal comfort zone. That vulnerability was a central theme of the day was ironic, as I frequently avoid that with others in order to protect myself.

Then this morning, we attended mass and led children's chapel. As expected the kids were a little rambunctious, but the gospel passage today was the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness after 40 days of fasting. We talked about Lent, and the kids had some funny responses, but we were able to share the differences between when Jesus by Satan and Adam was tempted by Jesus. And why that is significant. Im not sure whether the kids got it or will even remember it, but serving the church in this capacity is always a bit humbling. I am so thankful for the teachers and leaders in our faith communty that pour into our kids to teach them the traditions and beliefs of our faith. I love that childrens chapel is structured to reflect mass, so that when the kids go back into the service they know prayers of the people or what the collect is. I also love that Adam can quote the Lords prayer and says it loud and proud in the service.

No comments: