Thursday, March 09, 2017

More Lenten meditations

Its been a few days since I posted but I am still trying to be intentional about this Lent season. It has been increasingly hard for me to abstain from Facebook. I feel like I am missing out on something, that i dont know what is going on in peoples lives, or that scrolling through my news feed gives me something to pass the time while waiting for an appointment. Regardless, it is clear that it was a good choice for Lent.

As far as the past few days, on Monday we decorated our mite box to collect money for the children of Malawi. I showed Adam a video on youtube of children in Malawi so he could get an idea of what life was like in that country, and see the poverty that exists. In the middle of video, he said, "mom,  pause the video right now." And then he got up, ran into the other room and came back with his piggy bank. He then said, Mom, they need dollars, not just change. They need to have a playground." It was pretty incredible to see his heart moved so clearly. He told Justin that he needed to put money in our mite box, because those kids need electricity and to go to school.  It made my happy to see that genuine empathy and I hope that continues to grow. The following day, we were praying at bedtime, and I asked if he would like to add a prayer for someone special. He prayed for the children in Malawi, that they would have playgrounds, electricity and could go to school.


Today was a busy day. We had open house at Adam's school tonight, so I wasnt sure what if anything I could do today. However after talking with Adam's teacher this evening; I thought of a simple way to show care to her. I asked about spring break plans and she mentioned that they were not going anywhere, because her husband has to work. She said that she was fine with that because she doesnt get to spend alot of time with her kids (who are 7 and 2) and was hoping to just enjoy her time off with them. As a fellow working mom, I understand the feeling of not feeling present enough with your kids, however it must be especially hard to take care of other peoples children all day, when you would love to be with your own kids instead. Regardless, being a mom is hard, being a mom to little kids is hard, and being a working mom of little kids is even harder. So as i was at Whole foods picking up some things for work tomorrow. I noticed the frozen yogurt shop next door. I went in and purchased a gift card and included a note to send to her in Adam's folder tomorrow, which is the last tday of school before spring break.

No comments: