Monday, January 24, 2005

Social injustice occur everywhere

Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow..(Is.1:17)
Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen:to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help and he will say: Here am I. If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land an will strengthen your frame. (Is. 58:6-11)


Okay so most of you know that one of my passions is social justice, and it recently it just seems like every day I encounter more and more injustices within our world. Like, last night I watched "The Life of David Gale" with my sister and I was again reminded of all the injustices that exist within the criminal justice system. It is just so upsetting to me to know that people would rather let potentially innocent people be put to death simply to protect a flawed system. Why is that?
Then today was my first day of my Social Work Practice with Communities class, which is basically a course on community development and let me tell you I am pretty stoked about this semester. Most of our course work will consist of projects outside of class working in our community. One big project we will be doing is working with high school students at a local alternative school for kids with severe behavioral and learning disorders and uniting them with low-income eldery living in a subsidized housing highrise to complete a mural in their community room. We will literally be orchestrating a whole day event painting the mural, doing a craft fair(with works created by the students and seniors) and help with cleaning/painting the seniors homes. Doing fundraising, writing a grant for additional funding, advertising the event with the public and media, as well as contacting local political officials to support the project will all be componets of the project. I'm totally excited about getting started with this process, and my professor's expertise is in community development so I have no doubts that this will be an incredible learning experience.
Then later today I was watching Oprah and Lisa Ling was doing a report on life for women and children in the Congo. They told stories about how the militia in these countries would raid families homes and beat/kill the children while gang raping the mothers and forcing thier husbands to watch. Oftentimes these women are dragged off with the men and forced to act as sex slaves at thier militia camps. Some of the girls taken were as young as 10 years old!!! It is just so appalling that this happens in our world each day and not just in the Congo. Yet nothing ceases it from continuing. Surely there is something we can do to bring change and hope to these young women's lives. It made me want to weep bitterly when one of the women said "We have no hope for the future". How can we just sit quietly aside and allow this to occur? Why are more people not infuriated about these issues? Have we lost our concern for our fellow humanity? I have to believe thats not the case...especially with the outpouring of donations and money given to the tsumani diaster...So what is it? I will end with a quote that my professor gave to us today that I hope will be an inspiration to us all " Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful comitted citizens can change the world...indeed it's the only thing that ever has."---Margaret Mead

2 comments:

Justin said...

The font was too small... I'm old I can't read small font. Nonetheless, good topics of discussion. I really don't know what can be done in Africa amidst all the ongoing wars.

Suzanne said...

Jessica,

I found your blog as I was browsing for others interested in missions.

I'm a social worker from IL, currently living in MI, and about to move to Colombia, South America as a missionary.

I really relate to a lot of what you've posted thus far...the need to take care of yourself if you're to take care of others, the many questions about social justice, and the sadness of social justice issues around the world.

I really like Jeremiah 1:4-10
"The Word of the Lord came to me, saying,'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'

'Ah, Soverign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.'

But the Lord said to me,' Do not say, "I am only a child." You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,' declares the Lord.

Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me,'Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.'"

The Lord has chosen you to be His voice for the humble, the poor, the needy, the widow, and the alien around you. Remember that He will give you the strength for each day...

Suzanne
sball1979@yahoo.com
suzannyo.blogspot.com